"I was, in fact, homesick for wildness, and when I found it I knew how intimately - how resonantly - I belonged there. We are charged with this - all of us. For the human spirit has a primal allegiance to wildness, to really live, to snatch the fruit and suck it, to spill the juice." - Jay Griffiths, Wild: an Elemental Journey

Monday, October 10, 2011

Wild Autumn


I am backpacking through Roaring Plains, West Virginia on a beautiful, sunny, Fall weekend.  I am overwhelmed with a sensuous symphony of Autumn.  Here, for your pleasure, is an October montage of the five ways with which we interact with the world. . .

The sights:
Brilliant red blueberry bushes

Autumn palatte



The sounds:
Trickling water on a rock

When the wind blows, pine needles fall and tinkle all around like a brief, delicate rain shower

The smells:
The earthy scent of rotting leaves and vegetation on the forest floor


Even the fresh bear scat adds fall colors and scents


The textures:


Crispy moss covering the ground in the bog
Thick, cushy lichen in the bog


The tastes:
A tri-colored carrot from the farmer's market that tastes like candy

Hearty lunch on the mountain







No comments:

Post a Comment