"I was, in fact, homesick for wildness, and when I found it I knew how intimately - how resonantly - I belonged there. We are charged with this - all of us. For the human spirit has a primal allegiance to wildness, to really live, to snatch the fruit and suck it, to spill the juice." - Jay Griffiths, Wild: an Elemental Journey

Monday, September 10, 2012

Beautifully Imperfectly Gloriously Un-Put-Together

To continue my recent trend of humble, I-don't-have-it-together-after-all posts, I want to share this music video that makes me happy in every part of my body.  Especially when I feel sad in most parts of my body.


I saw it on http://thebloggess.com/ which is one of my favorite sites.  If you have been living under a rock and haven't yet heard of her, she (Jenny Lawson) is an inspiring, slightly blasphemous, definitely gloriously un-put-together blogger who writes about mental illness, her cat, and taxidermy, among other things.  Reading her this past year has given me the courage to be more honest about not having it all together in my own blog.

I don't even know if this is a real post.  It is just to say that I still don't have it all together, and the more I admit that, the happier I am.  Once I let go of the ridiculous standards that I put on myself and admit that I'm just like everyone else with good days and bad days, and holy moments and embarrassing moments, and beautiful eyes and wide thighs, and carefully chosen words and completely reactionary words - well, I guess I feel a little better.

To drive the point home, here is an image for you.  This week, the butterfly bush out back of my parents' house has been absolutely covered with monarchs by the dozens.  It has been an amazing sight.  Each morning I get up and look out the kitchen window to count them.  They must be stopping by on their migration or something.

So a couple of days ago, I was outside watching them and taking some pictures and I thought, Look at their beauty.  They are so breathtaking.  I wonder if they are conscious of their own appearance.  I wonder if they have any idea how perfect, how beautiful they are.

And as soon as I had the thought, I had a sensation of the monarch looking back at me thinking the exact same thing.  Do I know how beautiful I am?  How perfect?  Do you?




No comments:

Post a Comment