"I was, in fact, homesick for wildness, and when I found it I knew how intimately - how resonantly - I belonged there. We are charged with this - all of us. For the human spirit has a primal allegiance to wildness, to really live, to snatch the fruit and suck it, to spill the juice." - Jay Griffiths, Wild: an Elemental Journey

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Community

In all this writing about moving and looking for a community, I want to take a moment to acknowledge the community I already have.

I have made some of the best friends in my life while living in Maryland.  In fact, they are such good friends that I am not at all worried about different zip codes keeping us apart.  I have talked to them more since I've moved than I probably did when I lived there!  I miss them deeply and call often.  They are my anchors in what can often feel like an empty, vast sea.  Thank you Shelley, Katie, Eshe, Cole, Dawn, and Anne.  I feel the way you're holding me from the east coast and it matters.







I have the community from Tai Sophia, the graduate school where I am finishing up my masters degree.   Among my many inspiring teachers there, I keep in touch with three regularly - as my life coach, my acupuncturist, and my mentor.  Thank you Bob Gordan, Susan Duggan, and Anne Baker for holding me to my highest potential, and never judging me when I stumble.  Thank you also to all of my other classmates for your messages of love and support, "liking" my posts and pictures on Facebook, and being a part of some of the most exciting and meaningful learning I've ever undertaken.






I also still have the community of Friends Community School where I taught for seven years.  They were like family in many ways, and I am still in touch with many students, parents, and colleagues.  A few students even still send me their writing, which I love.  (If any of you are reading this, keep it coming!  Send me some of your good stuff to read!)  And a few colleagues still send me little updates about what is happening in the middle school.  I treasure each one and send my love to you all daily.




I haven't kept in touch with too many friends from college, but Liz was my bestie and roomie and overall rock.  We've stayed friends through many years, miles, and men, and we are still going strong.  Thanks for helping me to remember who I am outside of the daily ups and downs, Liz.  And thanks for always being the most fun person to drink with. :)

Liz is the bride!


Last but absolutely in no way least, I have my family.  My aunts, uncles, cousins, brother, sister-in-law, and nephews are deep comforts and blessings, and I appreciate all the hellos and updates and messages you send.





And my parents get their own paragraph.  I can say with utmost assuredness that I could not live the way I am living without them.  From keeping my extra stuff in their basement, to always having an open door for me to come home, to being patient with every dramatic life change I go through, my parents have kept me from falling over the edge many times.  They know and love me in a deep, timeless way that I know nothing can ever change.  Not many parents could be so supportive and accepting of their daughter flitting about the country and world with no real plan and no real job prospects!  Thank you, mom and dad, for always being my safe place to fall.  I'm actually tearing up as I write this, so it's coming from my heart!


This sort of feels like an award acceptance speech, so to finish the cliche, I'll say that I'm sorry if I have forgotten to mention anyone.

I want to clarify that I am not looking for a new place to live because I haven't had enough friends or love in the other places I've lived.  Not at all.  I've been loved more than some people ever get to feel in their lifetime, and I'm deeply grateful.

When I say I'm looking for a community, I mean it in a rather involved sense.  I'm talking about people who live together, grow food together, cook and eat that food together, worship together, sing together, drink together, cry together, and share many hours of the day.  I'm looking for a sort of intentional community, I guess.  And I'd like to find it outside of the busy DC beltway or the town in which I grew up.  That makes sense, right?

I just don't want to leave any of you thinking I'm running from you or the connection we have.  I'm taking in with me as I follow my heart to the next destination on my journey.  Much love!!


No comments:

Post a Comment