"I was, in fact, homesick for wildness, and when I found it I knew how intimately - how resonantly - I belonged there. We are charged with this - all of us. For the human spirit has a primal allegiance to wildness, to really live, to snatch the fruit and suck it, to spill the juice." - Jay Griffiths, Wild: an Elemental Journey

Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween, Denver style

One thing that made me a bit sad about living on the road was the prospect of missing Halloween.  I wouldn't be near my friends, wouldn't have any reason to dress up, and would be wandering on my own while everyone else celebrated one of my favorite holidays.  As usual, the things I worry about work themselves out.

While staying in Denver, my lovely, homebody, suburban host mentioned that her mother's gay housemates would be having a Halloween party Friday night, and maybe we could all go.  She said, "They're all middle-aged, you know, it'll be chill and sort of classy, I think.  Nothing out of hand."

"Cool," I said.  "Sounds good."  I had been partying pretty hard for a couple of weeks, and would welcome the chance to relax for a few days.

We threw together costumes last minute and headed out to the "chill" Halloween party.  Which, by the way, was anything but chill.

My couch surfing hosts and me at the party.  Craig as a
chick magnet, me as an elf, and Amy as a cat

The hosts of the party - with jello shots.  Well,
what's left of them.

The incredible food table!  The hosts are pastry chefs.  The thing the
skeletons are sitting on is a cake!
So this "little" party ended up having almost 100 people.  Every square inch of the house was elaborately decorated, and there was a dance floor with lights, a fog machine, and a professional DJ.  I danced like I haven't danced in a long time.  The best part was when some Mexican guy grabbed me and started swinging me around.  He was fabulous!  We danced for a long time and caught the attention of the rest of the crowd.   He wasn't creepy or "grind-y" at all - just a great dancer having tons of fun.

I left pleasantly exhausted and so grateful for a chance to celebrate Halloween!

1 comment: